Divorce and Family Law in Orange County.


By Denise Trevino

When one spouse in a divorce action frustrates settlement or increases the cost of litigation, a judge may order that spouse to pay monetary sanctions to the other spouse. To obtain sanctions, notice must be provided to the offending spouse. Usually notice is provided in a motion. However, a noticed motion is not required as long as reasonable notice is given to the offending party that sanctions will be requested at trial. The requesting party must articulate the reasons that sanctions should be granted in order to move forward with a request for sanctions.

Please note that the posting of this family law blog is informational only. Specific circumstances and laws may determine the outcome of your particular situation, and it is important to contact an attorney to analyze your situation.