Jurisdiction and UCCJEA

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Enforcement Act (UCCJEA) determines which state has the ability to issue custody and child support orders. If a parent moves with the minor children to a different state than California before obtaining a custody order, that parent may be required to return to Orange County to litigate custody even though the minor children live in the new state. Courts try to ensure that the parent who moves away fosters continuing contact with the parent who stayed in the old state.

If you need a divorce lawyer in the Orange County area to discuss a family law matter such as moving out of state with the minor children or any other dissolution issue such as child support, spousal support, custody, transmutation or property division, contact Treviño Law, Inc. Conveniently located off the 5 and 405 freeway at Lake Forest.

Although the posting of this information can be considered free legal advice for an Orange County divorce, it does not guarantee a result. There may be other circumstances that play a significant role in any dissolution which may alter the outcome of a divorce. A divorce lawyer will be knowledgeable about the significance of facts. Those factors should be reviewed and argued by a family law attorney in Orange County.

Please note that this legal advice does not establish a family law attorney-client relationship. This is a legal advertisement for Treviño Law, Inc, an Orange County family law firm.


Custody must be litigated in a child’s home state.

Custody must be litigated in a child’s home state.

Tips for Leaving an Abusive Relationship, Getting a Restraining Order and Building Your Life Again.

Get Your FREE Book Copy!

15 Ways to Protect Yourself When Leaving an Abusive Relationship

Mail a copy?

A guide to help make decisions about your divorce, and get peace of mind—all without leaving your home.

Get Your FREE Book Copy!

Divorce Lawyers

Trevino Law

Whether you’re dealing with legal affairs or planning for the future of your family, our Orange County family law and estate planning attorneys can help you take control of your life.

Popup Form